Ross Castle sits on the edge of Killarney’s lower lake and was built by O’Donoghue Mór in the 15th century. The Castle came into the hands of the Brownes who became the Earls of Kenmare and owned an extensive portion of the lands that are now part of Killarney National Park . Legend has it that O’Donoghue still exists in a deep slumber under the waters of Lough Leane. On the first morning of May every seven years he rises from the lake on his magnificent white horse and circles the lake. Anyone catching a glimpse of him is said to be assured of good fortune for the rest of their lives. The large rock at the entrance to the bay is known as O’Donoghue’s prison. Ross Castle was the last stronghold in Munster to hold out against Cromwell. It was eventually taken by General Ludlow in 1652.
Ross Castle is open to the public during the summer months. Details from Ross Castle, Killarney, Co. Kerry
By car, Ross Castle can be reached via a signposted right turn off the N71 travelling south from Killarney town or by walking or cycling from the Killarney House and Knockreer sections of the National Park. Jaunting cars also make the journey and are available at the jaunting car stand in the town.
Boat trips from Ross and Reen piers to Innisfallen on the Lower Lake and
to Lord Brandon’s Cottage on the Upper Lake
Two Waterbuses depart from Ross pier for trips on the Lower Lake – Sailing Times at the PiersGet Directions